The UK Travelers

The UK Travelers
Taken in June 2008 San Sebastian ES

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saturday 14 May the Capital of Scotland


Saturday 14 May:  The Capital of Scotland rocks!! We left the B&B at 1000 and returned at 1900 hrs. a full day of sunshine and many interesting things to see:  Sightseeing Bus, Edinburgh Castle, Grey Friars Bobby Graveyard and Pub,  the new Scottish Parliament, Holyroodhouse Palace, and back to the Allison House Hotel.  Saturday evening dinner was either a new place for Italian or back to New Delhi Delight again. We chose the Indian as we can get Italian anywhere in the states.

We knew from the start that they day was going to be great. Paul had to move the car to let the 1st row guy move out, instead of sitting by the road he chose to pop around the block which was not entirely a single block but a crescent followed by another crescent he was off and away for at least 25 mins before making it back to the B&B. Then at the tourist office we had to translate for a lady from Alicante Spain until she made it to the counter where a Spanish chap helped her to make her bus tour arrangements.  

I cannot explain to you the emotion I felt being back in my homeland. I spent the whole day choking back tears of pride and delight! Edinburgh was lovely. The Weather was perfect, even on top of the tourist bus. We stopped first at the castle. It really is magnificent. It is not a pretty castle; it has always been first and foremost a fortress. It sits on top of volcanic rock and guards the country. It is strong and forbidding, and most impressive. There has been habitation there from before the Romans came to visit and decided they didn’t want to bother with the wode painted natives and retreated to build Hadrian’s Wall to keep us out! I was most impressed with the hospitality I felt. Friendly, knowledgeable people who could not do enough to make you feel welcome. We ate there and then moved on to visit Greyfriars Graveyard, only because the story of Greyfriars Bobbie has been a favourite of mine since I was a child. Bobbie was a wee cairn terrier who sat on his master’s grave for 14 years until he died 14 years later(the dog I mean).

We waited a while for the bus to take us to the new Scottish Parliament. I don’t know why I felt so emotional about that. I wanted to weep for joy. Silly I know, but I have been away for a long time and this is my land. I am not sure how I feel about the architecture. It is interesting and after reading about the architects reasons for choosing as he did I can understand, however I think I would have preferred something a little  more traditional, but what do I know? Anyway it is impressive, they used stone and wood from Scotland and it is a building for the future.

Just across the road is Holyroodhouse Palace, the official residence of the Queen in Scotland. It is ancient and was allowed to fall in to disrepair for many years. It was a terrific visit. They include the audio guides in the price and it made it a most interesting  tour. I just loved the whole day! What I want to know is ,if I was this emotional in Edinburgh am I going to be a blubbering fool in the Highlands?
The garden out back of the B&B is beautiful. I asked the landlord if we could visit, but he said it wasn’t finished. It is just gorgeous, with bushes and shrubs, flowers, pergolas, container beds, trees, a fountain and so much more. There is a greenhouse and a really nice garden shed. I am making this sound huge, but it really isn’t. Just fabulous gardening. My friends in the Garden Club would love this! Paul just asked me what the heck I am writing! We just had a fabulous day. The weather was bright and sunny and Edinburgh was the star!